CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Mourning for Valentine's Day Togetherness, Not So Much.

     I just realized that my hubby will once again be gone on another one of those special holidays that couples are supposed to be together on. Yes, Valentines Day he will be eight hundred miles away in California. That means no flowers, no candy, no going to dinner or a movie together, no doing any of those fun things that most folks do.     
     On the bright side when he goes to California I get to talk to him on the phone. It's the one and only time I am guaranteed to have his full attention, at least for a few minutes. When he is here, I have to compete with whatever sport is in season and my son Kyle, with whom he discusses every team, every game, every injury and all the other stuff that goes with having two sports fanatics in the house. I keep telling myself that some day Kyle will move out (he is almost 22) and I will be able to get the hubby's attention again, but I see danger ahead, because now my ten-year-old Ryan is getting in on the action. That means at least another twelve years before I can wiggle my way into his line of vision. Did I mention that I have a son even younger. If he follows down the same path I will be a senior citizen before I have him all to myself again.
     Thank goodness I have those precious moments on the phone with him. I call and say, "How is your day going."
     Followed by about five minutes of gripping about all that has gone wrong and then I say, "Are you going to be putting more money in the bank?"
    "I just put money in the bank yesterday."
    "I know, but it's gone and I need more."
    "You're my most expensive child," he sighs. "I'll see what I can do."
     I know it doesn't sound like much of a conversation, but it works for us. I figure as long as he keeps me supplies with money, I'll let him have his sports.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment