CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Ten Things I Like About Spring

     Well, here we are springtime, which means we are only a hop, skip and a jump from summer. Oh boy! I can't wait. If you caught the sarcasm in that statement you are on your toes today. I don't like hot weather. That's why I decided to focus on today and not to dread the long, hot days ahead. So here are ten things I like about springtime.
 1. The grass turns green.  I like this, and the fact that I don't mow it makes it even sweeter.
 2. The trees start to leaf out, and since I have 21 of them in my yard it's pretty cool to watch.
 3. All the shrubs start coming back to life. I went out the other day and tore out the dead stuff that was left over from winter, so we're pretty much ready to go. Bring on the daylilies, the black-eyed Susans, and the purple cone flower.
 4. The days get longer and that's okay, we like hanging out in the yard and watching the kids and grandkids play.
5. We have some time before I have to think about putting on a bathing suit to go to the Roy Pool. Not that that will make one bit of difference, but I can dream.
6. The air is warmer and you can go without a coat. Although this spring has been unusually cold and I haven't put my coat up yet.
7. Their is only a few weeks left until school gets out for summer vacation. To be honest this is a mixed blessing and number 7 might also be on a list of things I hate about spring.
8. You can go for walks in the evening without freezing or slipping on an icy sidewalk.
9. It's time to plant the garden.
10. Springtime is special. If you pay attention it really is a rebirth like all the poets say, especially if you live in a cold climate.  For months everything looks dead and is either under a foot of snow or if not just looks barren. And then one day you wake up and it's all coming back to life. I find it miraculous and beautiful and I am grateful for the opportunity to witness it every year.
     I hope springtime is as special where ever you are. :)

2 comments:

  1. At least you have a/c to help you through those HOT days!! That year when we didn't have it was HORRID!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My van doesn't. :(

    You forgot fresh wood chips on your list!!

    ReplyDelete