CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, March 22, 2013

Chili Verde

     I having been cooking for my family since I was thirteen and my mom went back to work. I would start dinner and she would finish it. Then I got married and I have been cooking ever since. And I have to admit that after almost 33 years of marriage I am pretty sick of my own cooking, so when I find a new recipe that ever one likes I get excited about.
     I found this Chili Verde recipe on Pinterest and the fam loved it, so here it is. I like it because it's not chicken, it's pork, which means I don't have to hear, "Chicken again!" I have been trying to expand our meat horizons.

2 lbs. pork diced (I used boneless pork ribs)
1 cup onion, chopped
14 oz chicken broth
1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 1/2 Tbsp chicken stock (I omitted this)
1 teaspoon celery salt
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 Tbsp cumin
1/2 Tbsp jalapeno (I omitted this)
4 Tbsp chopped cilantro
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 Tbsp green Tabasco sauce
10 oz green enchilada sauce (I used the big 27oz can to make it go further)
27 oz  can green chilies diced. (I couldn't find the big can so I used several small)
8 oz canned green chilies, pureed
1-2 cans white beans, drained and rinsed(optional) I did it.
1/2 teaspoon salt

Brown pork and drain. Add onion and chicken broth (will not cover meat) Simmer 1 hour stirring often. Combine garlic powder, chicken stock, celery salt, cornstarch, oregano, cumin, jalapeno, cilantro, chili powder, and green Tabasco sauce. Simmer 1 hour stirring often to avoid sticking.
Add green enchilada sauce and stir. Stimmer 1/2 hour. Add chopped green chilies and cook for 15 minutes. Add pureed green chilies, white beans and salt to taste.
Serve with cheese, sour cream, chips and/or flour tortillas.

I had to double this but the fam ate every bit of it and raved about it.

If you are on Pinterest you can search for it with the pic under Chili Verde and it is a copyrighted recipe from Favorite Family Recipes 2012. This had tons of flavor and was not spicy even with the chili power and Tabasco. I didn't double those, however. Or you can check it out on my Yumm Pinterest page.
Give it a try if you are looking for some new kind of yummyness.




1 comment:

  1. I love chili Verde! I have the same deal, cooking for everyone since I was able to reach the stove.
    This sounds yummy!

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete