CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Time to Stock Up

     This week I'm going to be adding to my food storage. For those of you who aren't LDS, we try to have on hand extra food in case of an emergency. And I have to admit my freezer is embarrassingly empty right now, except for the three-year-old banana walnut muffins(I should probably throw those out) and a bucket of vanilla ice cream. It's a far cry from when boneless/skinless chicken breasts were on sale a year ago and I cleaned the Syracuse and Layton Walmart out of their entire supply. I thought I would have enough for a year, not, we went through 39 bags of chicken in about four months.
     We also can't keep enough cheese on hand. We've been getting that at CostCo and I like to have six 5 pounders on hand. We're down to none. Cereal is another thing we go through like water. I had over fifty boxes in our cold storage and now we have about six and that's only because my boys are sick of Pops.
     I have plenty of wheat and rice though, so if you need to borrow some I have about seven hundred pounds of wheat and four hundred pounds of rice.
     There are certain things you just don't want to run out of. I really panic when we run low on Best Foods Mayonnaise. I'm a mayo snob. I won't use the store brands of mayo and I breathe a sigh of relief when summer comes and it goes on sale and I stock up. I try to buy twenty-four of them, but it would take about 48 to really supply us for a year. That sounds really bad doesn't it? You have to realize that we feed up to twenty people several nights a week, so if I am making potato salad or macaroni salad it takes one whole jar of mayo for the amount we go through. And, of course, there's tuna salad, chicken salad and egg salad during the summer.Tell me I'm not alone in my slothfulness. :)
     What are the things you like to keep on hand? What do you panic over when you use the last one?     
   

1 comment: