CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A Few Thoughts About Food Storage

     I saw another article today on the internet about food shortages that may be coming do to the failure of crops all over the world.  I am seeing them more and more often and it is frightening. Our church has been telling us to get our food storage in order for over 75 years. I wonder how many of us have heeded that advice?
     I just purchased 150 lbs of rice. That's six bags, 25lbs each of long grain rice.  I'm adding it to my supply of flour, sugar, wheat, pasta, beans and canned goods that I have on hand.  I know what some of you are thinking, "What the heck do you do with 150lbs of rice?" We eat it. Not every night, but we make Spanish rice when we have tacos or enchiladas and we have chicken and broccoli casserole over rice. There are other recipes that need rice, so I will have at least a years supply on hand.
     I can only imagine what it would be like to send children to bed hungry and I know it happens all the time, all over the world.  We American's think famine could never happen here because we are so used to going to the store and buying what ever we want. What if one day you went to the store and the shelves were empty?  Have you seen what happens to grocery stores when a big storm is expected? Last winter, back east, the stores were virtually wiped out of everything due to a blizzard that was forecast. That is just one storm. What if the drought in the middle of our country causes food shortages for the long term.  Can you imagine what would happen in the cities when people started getting hungry? I wouldn't want to be there for that. I was in Cali during the riots and I don't ever want to be that close to anything like that again.
     Another reason I believe in food storage is we like to eat around here. It's a bonding experience to sit down with your family and share a meal. I always want to be able to put food on the table for the people I love. So for me and my house we will follow the counsel of our leaders and keep stocking up on the foods that will keep us strong, healthy and alive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment