CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 8, 2011

To Read Or To Write

     I have been an avid reader most of my life, but now that I am writing I don't have the time to read that I used to and I miss it.  I have a to-be-read pile that just keeps getting bigger and my summer of reading the classics has officially fizzled. I have only made it to chapter 5 of Tom Sawyer(sorry Tom) and I don't know when I will get back to it.
     I have magazines still in the plastic wrappers, including one from last December that I haven't touched.  I keep thinking that as soon as I have time I will get to them, but summer vacation will be over in two weeks and I don't feel like I have accomplished what I wanted to, except for my writing.
     I am pleased that I have gotten so far in my new story.  I have dedicated quite a bit of time to it.  The fam complains sometimes that it is too much time, but the truth is they just resent that I am not at their constant beck and call so I don't feel that bad.
     I do miss spending time reading though.  Every book is like taking an adventure, or meeting new friends.  I know how you can actually feel sad when a great book ends because you are going to miss the characters.  I have cried with them when things went terribly wrong.  And that is one of the best things about writing your own stories, you can control what happens and write it the way you want it to turn out. 
     So you can see that I am totally conflicted.  Should I read or should I write? That is the question.

3 comments:

  1. I try hard to reserve reading as a reward for getting hitting my writing benchmarks.

    And I remind myself if all these words are spilling out of me, I going to need to put some back in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I empathize big time. I force myself to get about half an hour of reading in each day. And since I try not to write on Sundays, I read almost all day:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally I think you should write but that is cause I am so selfish!! Do both!!!

    ReplyDelete